You may have seen from signs around the village, road works will be starting w/c 25th September. We are delighted to say that this is the continuation of the first phase of our traffic calming work.
As you will already have seen, the Parish Council acquired 2 mobile speed indicators which have been in use around the village for some weeks already. We also handed out 30mph/40mph stickers for people with bins on the through roads.
Next week, West Sussex Highways start the main body of the phase one work. When this is finished we will have;
- A new 40mph buffer zone on the Lindfield Road to the south of the village
- White gateways with the speed limit and village name signs at 4 entry points to the village centre
- Speed limit indicators on the road surface
- A short stretch of bollards at one part of the high street to prevent vehicles using a particularly thin bit of paving
- Additional dropped kerbs and tactile paving at either end of the high street to provide a relatively safe place for pedestrians to cross the road
You may have seen the plans prior to WSCC Highways technical evaluation and review, so there are some small differences. The village name signs with the speed limit are now yellow to adhere to highways guidance. You will see these in a few different villages (Ansty, Scaynes Hill and Chailey) where the village name is combined with a speed limit change. The white only signs with a village logo are separate from the speed limit change. The full plans can be viewed under the Traffic Committee section on this website.
We hope you are as pleased as us to see this progress. A lot of hard work has gone in to this from both councillors and residents over the last few years but hopefully this is just the start. When the measures we are putting in place start to have an impact we should be able to do even more.
To that end, we can now can start looking at the next phase! If you have suggestions for what we should do next then get in touch! Email me and the council clerk with any ideas and we will collate the ideas for consideration – email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org